Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day 5: Julio's on Duval


Julio's is a boss at cooking up fresh and consistent Tex-Mex that, for me, is a welcome comfort food. With Julio's you will always know that every time you order chicken enchiladas, for example, they will show up piping hot, filled with delicious cheese and chicken, topped with fresh sauce, and served with perfect rice and beans. Nothing unexpected, but everything you would expect, done just right.

For some people comfort food is a big bowl of buttery mashed potatoes, or a hot cup of chicken noodle soup, or even dad's mediocre casserole he made every Sunday. The point of comfort food is to give us something that tastes just the way we expect so we can relax about the world around us and focus on enjoying life. On days that we seek out comfort food we don't want the fuss of trying something new, and that's how I felt today.

I had planned on going to one of the taco places on my list that I've never been to, but errands put me driving through Hyde Park right in time for lunch. I wasn't looking forward to the treks across town and I really was in the mood for something delightfully predictable.

My comfort food at Julio's is the chalupa. Before I first ate at Julio's I don't think I could have told you for certain what a chalupa is, but now I have come to develop a high regard for this crispy, fresh little salad on fried tortilla. I love knowing that for about $6 I can walk into Julio's at any time and order one. In the kitchen the chef drops a tortilla into the deep frier and leaves it there until it's super crispy and toasty. She then slathers it with refried beans, sprinkles it with cheese, layers on shredded chicken, fresh green leaf lettuce, diced tomatoes, and a heaping helping of avocado, and serves it with a side of scrumptious red salsa. 



Situated at the corner of Duval and 43rd next to Quack's Bakery, Julio's has been around since 1983. It has become a fixture in the neighborhood not only due to it's quality Mexican offerings, but also due to the casual and comfortable environment. The brightly painted walls outside and patio tables made of Corona signs are a great place to relax in the sun during spring and fall. 




Note the distinct lack of customers outside due to the 100 degree weather...

When you sit down inside you feel very calm as you anticipate the arrival of your delightful meal and it seems like the whole world slows down for just a little bit. And sometimes slow, predictable, and delicious is just what we need.




Julio's - 4230 Duval St

No comments:

Post a Comment