Monday, August 5, 2013

Day 10: El Tacorrido on South 1st


So I have a little secret to share. This project is managed by a detailed Google spreadsheet where I list what restaurants I plan to go to on which date. The restaurants are color coded by what part of town they are in and I have columns listing the price category, the type of food served, and whether I've eaten there before or not. There is also a column for the hours each restaurant is open, but this column is only about 10% filled out, so that's why I ended up at El Tacorrido yesterday.

The plan was to go to Tamale House on Airport, but on Sunday late-morning we realized they are closed on Sunday. We only had a small amount of time to get food, and we made the mistake of heading to Maria's Taco Xpress at around 11:45. The line was really long so it was going to take at least half an hour to get our food So we ended up in South Austin heading to yet another taco truck on my list. That's when we were about to pass El Tacorrido. 


Originally El Tacorrido wasn't on my list, but that was a mistake. I made a last minute decision to remedy this mistake because I love this place. Not only are the tacos scrumptious and cheap, but they have an adorable pig as their logo. 

El Tacorrido is plopped down in an odd little drive through at the corner of Oltorf and South 1st. This location has been a bunch of different unsuccessful restaurants over the years, but judging by the lines of cars frequently flooding through, I think El Tacorrido may be here to stay. (knock on wood)


We did unfortunately have a few problems with our order this time around, namely they left out my hubby's 3rd taco and they stuffed all 4 tacos into one box, making it difficult to eat in the car (but I suppose, better for the environment). Also, very unfortunately the barbacoa, normally tender and delicious, was really fatty and grisly this time. Mega lame-sauce.

Troubles with our order aside, El Tacorrido is one of my favorites. The tortillas are very fresh, probably made in house or by a local bakery. I'm a big fan of fresh corn tortillas because they are so flavorful, and a not fresh corn tortilla can really cause problems with taco infrastructure - since they crack and fall apart leaving you with a pile of eggs, salsa, and dry tortilla bits.


The breakfast tacos and the flour tortillas are a cut above average too. The potatoes are seasoned perfectly and are very tender. They also must use a slightly better cheese than other places, I think it's a white cheddar. When it comes to filling that taco craving you can't do much better than fresh ingredients prepared with care. 

www.eltacorrido.com

El Tacorrido - 2316 S 1st

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment