Friday, August 9, 2013

Day 14: Tortas El Wuero on Cameron


A school bus filled with delicious tortas, what more could you need?


While I don't shy away from mixing in true Mexican food with my Tex-Mex for this blog, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to order the most Texas thing on the menu at this self-proclaimed authentic Mexican torta shop. 


All of the tortas are served on bolillo rolls and come with tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, carrots, and avocado. I ordered the Texana which comes with lightly breaded, thin beef that is to die for, cheese, and pineapples. I got a huge kick out of the pineapples because they were both ridiculous and delicious. Seriously though, these tortas are definitely worth a trip. The bread is soft and fresh. The veggies are crisp and refreshing. The salsa is tomatoey and spicy and the meat is like a cross between chicken fried steak and gyro meat. Then add in some cheese and pineapple... I only wish I had discovered this place much sooner. 



This food got me wondering about the origin of Tex-Mex and why more places don't serve tortas. Every place you go has lots of tacos and enchiladas, which are great, don't get me wrong, but tortas seem like they are the ultimate bridge between American and Mexican food because they're sandwiches filled with Mexican ingredients.

Anyway, I also want to make a note about Torta El Wuero's name. If you know anything about Spanish there might be a little bit of WTF? going on in your head when you read that, and rightly so. I had a hunch so I asked the cook about the spelling. He divulged that Güero's Taco Bar sent over a nifty little letter threatening legal action if Tortas El Güero didn't change their name, thus the goofy spelling. Not super nice huh? - Especially since I highly doubt Güero's would win in court since the names and the food served are plenty different enough to avoid confusion. This is the kind of silly rivalry and bullying I hate to hear about in our generally badass city. Regardless, Tortas El Wuero rose above the pettiness and just changed the spelling of their name. That resilience and willingness to just say "screw y'all" only further endears me to this little school bus of tasty tortas.


Tortas El Wuero - 5415 Cameron Rd. 


No comments:

Post a Comment