Saturday, August 24, 2013

Day 28: Maudie's Tex-Mex on North Lamar


I had never been to Maudie's before but I had always heard tell. Then I did some searching around online and discovered just how highly rated it is, so I decided I had to go. I was surprised when we pulled up and the Lamar location is set back in a boring strip.


Inside is a different story. It's brightly colored and has a cantina atmosphere. For lunch on a Thursday it was bumpin' too. That's sorta where my impression began to go downhill though... Our waiter was really disinterested in carrying out basic tasks required for her job, such as greeting us, or looking us in the eye, or answering questions about the menu. On top of that the clientele were mostly dudes who seemed to be skipping out on work for a couple margaritas during their lunch break - one dude would not stop staring at my sister and I. Creeper!


The food was good, but not amazing which was surprising since Maudie's is really supposed to be quality. The carnitas in my "burrito" (notice the two tortillas that look a lot more like enchiladas) were dry, kind of cold, tough, and tasted of congealed fat. That was a bummer because the verde sauce was fantastic. It was really bright and citrusy. The flour tortillas were fluffy and fresh. The cheese was quality and the pico and cilantro on top was fresh and delightful. I guess I just got the bottom of the barrel carnitas. 


My sister got some vegetarian tacos with peppers and potatoes which were bland and unimpressive. It's too bad that Maudie's didn't live up to the hype. On Yelp the North Lamar location has the highest ratings of them all, but perhaps I made a mistake by not going to the flagship Maudie's Cafe on 7th St. But even though it wasn't quite as good as expected, Maudie's is certainly contributing to the overall well-being of the vibrant and diverse Tex-Mex scene in Austin. 


Maudie's Tex-Mex - 10205 N Lamar





No comments:

Post a Comment