Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Day 17: Paco's Tacos on 51st

I haven't been totally honest. We have been eating breakfast tacos on weekends and not telling you about it, and we've been doing it at Paco's.


Paco's is our regular neighborhood taco place. Most Saturday's and Sundays we eat breakfast tacos at Paco's, as we did this Sunday. As mentioned in the "About this Blog" section, Tex-Mex is a way of life here in Austin. Lot's of folks eat breakfast tacos every weekend, and hell, I ate breakfast tacos pretty much every day during college. I would get to campus 10 minutes before class started and plan my power walking route from the bus or my scooter so that I would pass an O's Cafe trailer. I always ordered 2 potato, egg, and cheese tacos and a coffee. Every morning in class I was that girl in the front row, legs crossed in her seat, chowing down on tacos to make sure I had enough energy to ask lots of questions. This is in the range of normal here in Austin. 


But I digress. Paco's isn't spectacular; it's above average, but I feel so bad writing that because I just adore this place. I have surmised that the lady in yellow in the picture above and her husband are the owners. They take so much pride in their restaurant. I don't know the lady in yellow's name, but she knows my husband's name. She makes a serious effort to remember all the regular's names. The place is also fastidiously kept and charmingly decorated with old tin signs, farm equipment, saddles, and succulents.


They even have a toy fox attached to a weight attached to a rope and pulley system that closes the door behind you.


Like in college, I always get 2 potato, egg, and cheese tacos and a coffee. The eggs are perfectly cooked every time. I think the cheese is monterrey jack and the potatoes are nicely seasoned. My only complaint about my tacos is that occasionally the potatoes are a bit under cooked. 


Paul often orders chorizo, egg, and cheese tacos and he tells me that the chorizo is more fatty and flavorful, but somehow less greasy at Paco's than some other establishments. 

Oh! And they have mimosas and bloody Mary's for 2 bucks on weekends. Love it!


Paco's Tacos - 1304 E. 51st 

No comments:

Post a Comment