Thursday, August 15, 2013

Day 20: Taqueria Los Altos on IH 35


Taqueria Los Altos is soooo janky. It's on the access road of the highway, painted bright orange, and the bars on the windows are painted bright yellow. It looks like it's made of tooth picks and would fall over with a strong wind. 


Inside is even more mind-bogglingly decorated with electric yellow walls and Mexican blankets shrink-wrapped to the tables. 


The food is mediocre and not worth the 4 stars this place has on Yelp. The rice is dry but adequate. The beans are boring but adequate. The chile relleno is soggy, but still fried and slathered in cheese and salsa, so that's good I guess. 


Paul got the steak fajitas and was lovin' it (I spaced and didn't try it), but the guacamole was unmemorable (I did try it and am left with a vague memory that I ate a guacamole-like substance).

I had been here once or twice a long time ago and I had forgotten why I never went back. Now I remember. If there is a Taqueria Los Altos type establishment in Massachusetts I will jump for joy, but here in Austin I just don't get why people love this place so much. And people really love it. Maybe its just so janky that they think it's cool?

I dunno, but apparently the Cherrywood neighborhood association meets at Taqueria Los Altos on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 6:30 because they were the only other party in there, busying themselves providing fodder for the next Parks and Rec episode. Here's the scoop; apparently some folks want to put in a community garden in Patterson Park at Airport Blvd and Schieffer Ave, but the Wildshire Wood neighborhood association is fighting it for some unfathomable reason. 

Well I guess when you have so many good tex-mex restaurants to choose from, there always needs to be the less-than-awesome spot where folks go to get a quick bite or reliably hold their neighborhood association meetings without being disturbed by other pesky customers enjoying a worth-while meal.



www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-los-altos-austin

Taqueria Los Altos - 3301 N Interstate 35, Austin

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment