Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Day 11: Torchy's on Burnet


Oh I love Torchy's. I love the tacos and I love the rags to riches Austin success story of the place. I also love the branding and the devilish 'tude that Torchy's has.

The tale began in a little trailer in South Austin at the very beginning of the food truck revolution. Some guy wanted to make crazy tacos but he didn't have money for a store front. Everyone loved his tacos and then he opened store after store all over the city and in five other cities too. The end.


Torchy's tacos are so good and so well-know now that it's hard to remember a time when fried avocados and tacos called "Dirty Sanchez" weren't the norm, but there was such a time not so very long ago.  


I typically go to Torchy's every couple weeks and, unless the Taco of the Month tickles my fancy, I get a Baja Shrimp taco and a Fried Avocado taco. The Baja Shrimp taco is a meal close to perfection in my opinion. Sitting on a small bed of crispy cabbage slaw, the shrimp is lightly breaded and fried and topped with pickled red onions, a mound of cilantro, and a sprinkle of queso fresco. You then squeeze on a slice of lime and slather on a creamy, slightly spicy chipotle sauce. I love all things tangy and citrusy and pickled. I also love me some seafood so this taco is heaven for me. The hot shrimp pops as you bite into it and your mouth simultaneously experiences the tang of the pickled onions and lime and the creamy, smokey chipotle sauce. Then you get the crunch of the cabbage and the herby freshness of the cilantro. OM NOM.


Then there's the fried avocado taco. The novelty of a fried avocado still hasn't worn off on me, though each time I go to Torchy's I wonder, "Will I still like it?" And I always do. This taco really is very simple. All we've got here is some basic refried beans and the fried avocado topped with shredded iceberg lettuce, a simple pico de gallo, a bit of grated cheddar cheese, and a creamy poblano sauce. But the combo of crispiness and creaminess, hot and cold, does it for me every time. 


Maybe Torchy's will open up in Western Massachusetts...


Torchy's Tacos - 5119 Burnet Road

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment