Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day 23: La Calle Doce on Skillman in Dallas



Even though we had to make a trip up to Dallas to visit family before the big move, 30 days of Tex-Mex can't take a break. We asked a couple friends where to go for dinner and they recommended La Calle Doce. This is a Dallas original that started up in Oak Cliff in 1981 and recently expanded to Lakewood. 


Just after we sat down is when the giddiness began. After the chips and salsa, came a plate of freshly made tortillas with butter. Yes, butter. I haven't had this in so long because, come to think of it, I think it's a Dallas thing. As a kid in Dallas, at every opportunity I would grab a hot tortilla and slather on a bunch of butter, roll it up, and eat it like a little burrito. The butter would melt inside there and mingle with the doughy tortilla making a decadent treat. The key was to leave a little space in the center of the tortilla roll-up so I could stick my tongue in there and lap up some butter. This might seem gross now, but as a kid it was the best thing EVAR! So you can imagine my delight when this hot plate of tortillas and butter arrived. I definitely rolled one one up for old time's sake.


I asked about specialty drinks and the waiter touted the mango margarita as "really really good." Maybe I'm spoiled by Austin margaritas, but the closest thing to a mango this goblet of yellow 5 and red 40 has ever seen was the fresh lime wedge on the rim. Not so delish, but did I drink it? Of course. 


Then my meal began with a cup of seafood soup. This little bowl was the highlight of the evening. It had big chunks of fish in it and the broth was salty, flavored with lime, and tasted of seafood. Yum!


Oh but the main entree... Rice, shrimp slathered in Velveeta, and... drum roll... a BAKED POTATO!!! Seriously, there was a baked potato along with the Mexican rice. To be honest this isn't the kind of thing I would normally order. I tend to eat a lot healthier than this and Velveeta doesn't usually sound good to me, but this whole concept of Velveeta-y shrimp and a baked potato is hilarious and spectacular to me. Where else would you find this besides Texas?

www.lacalledoce-dallas.com

La Calle Doce - 1925 Skillman

View Larger Map


No comments:

Post a Comment