Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 19: Taco More on Parkfield


Not sure what to say other than I am grateful that I was able to experience such a wonderful eatery before I move far far away from such deliciousness. 


Taco More is real Mexican food, not Tex-Mex and it has so much to choose from, no wonder the place was bumpin' at 1:30 on a Tuesday. 


After you order, you are given a basket of chips which, due to the casualness of the place, came as a surprise. The salsa is amazing. Truly. it is one of the best salsas served with chips I have ever had. Served warm, it has the texture of homemade marinara but the acidity and freshness of herbs expected in a salsa. 


And if that's not enough, they also have a salsa and veggie bar so you can load your tacos with fresh slices of cucumber, onions pickled with chiles, whole pickled jalapeños, lime wedges, fresh radishes, and some menacing looking deep red roasted whole chiles. I snagged a few veggies, but regrettably I didn't try the other salsas. Guess I'll have to go back!


For my meal I tried lengua for the first time. Lengua is cubed beef tongue presumably stewed and then pan seared and it's very fatty and rich - almost too rich for my tastes, but really delicious. If you've never tried it, I suggest you do.


Upon the recommendation of the gentleman behind the counter I also ordered a goat taco. The goat is shredded and was probably stewed. It was very delicious and had the goatiness one would expect in goat. Whatever that means...

Since I was the only gringa in there and I was being ridiculous by taking lots of photos (this was pretty painful because I hate feeling like a tourist), everyone, and I mean everyone was staring at me, but I still felt quite welcome despite all that. One of the staff suggested I come back and try the head beef. As much as I try to live with a "don't knock it 'till you try it" attitude when it comes to food, this prospect apparently horrified me enough to haunt my dreams. I had a dream last night that I was served a big cereal bowl of grey, greasy, mashed up brains that looked sort of like rubbery overcooked worms. I had the feeling that a bunch of people were watching me and waiting for me eat while I just sat there holding a spoon and staring down in total disgust. Apparently I really don't want to try brains, but I bet they're delicious and nothing like my dream, so let me know what you think when you try them! I bet that Taco More would be the place to do it if you're gonna.

UPDATE: "Head Beef" is not brains! Whew, that's a relief. Head beef is the outside of the head - like the cheek and other parts and it's the same as barbacoa, which we all know is one of my favorites! Check out Google or this article if you don't believe me: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-03-28/entertainment/0303280145_1_cow-meat-barbacoa

www.yelp.com/biz/taco-more-austin-2

Taco More - 9400 Parkfield Dr.

View Larger Map









No comments:

Post a Comment